Photo by anatoliy_gleb On Envato Elements
When it comes to getting braces for yourself or your teenager, the decision between clear aligners and traditional metal braces may be on your mind. While both methods are effective in correcting teeth alignment, they have distinct mechanisms and advantages and drawbacks.
As an authoritative Houston cosmetic dentist, we have highlighted the main contrasts below to assist you in selecting the most suitable orthodontic treatment based on your circumstances.
Overview of Clear Aligner Braces
Clear aligner braces, such as Invisalign, are composed of a sequence of transparent trays made of removable plastic that are specifically tailored to fit your teeth. These trays gradually exert gentle pressure to shift your teeth into their desired position. As your teeth adjust, you will switch to a new tray every 1-2 weeks.
Benefits of Using Clear Aligners
- Offers a subtle appearance on your teeth for a more inconspicuous aesthetic.
- Can be taken off for effortless maintenance and eating.
- Does not include any metallic brackets or wires that may cause discomfort to the cheeks or gums.
- May result in fewer trips to the dentist’s office compared to conventional braces.
Drawbacks of Clear Aligners:
- The initial cost is greater than that of metal braces.
- It is important to consistently wear the aligners for at least 22 hours per day.
- In some cases, they may not be suitable for significant orthodontic alterations.
- There may be an adjustment period for speaking when first using the aligners.
Overview of Traditional Braces:
Conventional braces, also known as brackets, consist of metal or ceramic brackets that are affixed to individual teeth. A wire is then threaded through each bracket by an orthodontist, who can gradually adjust it to reposition your teeth for proper alignment. Additionally, elastic ties or bands are utilized to facilitate the movement of teeth.
Benefits of Conventional Braces:
- Clear aligners typically have a higher upfront cost compared to traditional braces.
- Traditional braces are capable of correcting more complex misalignments such as bite issues and severely crooked teeth.
- Unlike clear aligners, traditional braces are fixed in place and do not require as much patient compliance.
- Some cases have reported faster treatment times with traditional braces.
Drawbacks of Traditional Braces:
- Teeth may have brackets and wires that are visible.
- It is important to clean diligently as food can get trapped in the brackets.
- The wires and brackets may irritate the lips and cheeks.
- Regular in-office visits are necessary for adjustments.
- To prevent damage (e.g. to avoid sticky, hard, or crunchy foods), there may be some dietary restrictions.
Which is the Better Option for You: Clear Aligners or Brackets?
It is difficult to determine a clear “superior” choice as every patient’s situation is distinct. Take into account your orthodontic requirements, financial constraints, lifestyle, and personal preferences. Make sure to have a thorough discussion with your dentist or orthodontist to explore all available options.
For those who are interested in clear aligners for their aesthetic appeal, it is important to note that they are most suitable for individuals with mild to moderate alignment problems. Those with more complicated cases may see better results with traditional braces due to their capabilities. However, it is worth noting that advancements in clear aligner technology and treatment options are constantly being made.
At Unicare Dental Center, we are pleased to conduct an examination and advise on whether clear aligners or traditional braces may be more suitable for achieving your desired smile. Our team will ensure that you are fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both options, empowering you to make an informed choice. Our goal is to assist you in achieving the healthiest and most attractive smile possible.
Investing in braces is crucial for maintaining good oral health and improving your appearance. Our team can assist you in choosing the most suitable treatment plan for your specific needs by understanding the distinctions between clear aligner braces and traditional metal braces. With proper care and patience, you or your teenager will have a confident smile with perfectly aligned teeth. Get in touch with our office now to set up your first appointment.